Twitter client Twhirl acquired by Seesmic
The acquisition of Twhirl, for an undisclosed amount, by Seesmic is an interesting news from many angle, the most interesting being Twhirl an AIR application which can run on both Windows and Mac, and of course on Linux.
Twhirl is a popular desktop Twitter client, based on the Adobe AIR platform, developed by Marco Kaiser. Besides being able to acess Twitter service directly from the Desktop, Twhirl also cross post to other services like Pownce and Jaiku.
Twhirl is one of the best Desktop Twitter clients available, amongst others like Twitterific and Instant Messenger Clients. Seesmic plans to enhance the application further and eventually make it the official Seesmic Desktop Client.
I hope this news made a sudden burst of interest among Windows, Mac and Linux AIR Developers.
Serial Entrepreneur & Blogger, LoÃ¯c Le Meur, who is behind Seesmic have cited many reasons for acquiring Twhirl. The reasons are worth reading and is reproduced here verbatim;
- Staying in touch with your friends using microblogging is much easier using a client than through your browser.
- Twhirl is the #1 and coolest Twitter client with more than 100,000 downloads and 7% of all tweets posted per day.
- Thousands of new users download Twhirl daily.
- Twhirl works on Mac AND PC, soon on Linux too.
- Twhirl lets you easily use all the advanced messaging options of Twitter (replies, direct messages).
- Twhirl added very cool features such as search and url shortening in a second.
- Twhirl allows you to have multiple Twitter accounts opened simultaneously.
- Twhirl not only posts on Twitter but also on Pownce and Jaiku, with more services coming soon.
- Seesmic and Twhirl have been created exactly the same way, by listening to their communities and adding new features according to their popularity.
- Twhirl has amazing feedback from its users and press coverage: Thwirl was just on Fox News.
- We got in touch entirely through using Twitter and Twhirl… how cool is that?
- Marco was already in the process of adding Seesmic support to Twhirl.
- Adding video to Twhirl will be a plus to the Twhirl community.
- Twhirl is free and will remain free.
- Marco has the same international vision, already supporting English, German, Spanish and Italian.
- With Twhirl being based in Germany, Seesmic now has a presence there which will help with the German version and community.
- Marco will have more means to improve Twhirl as he will join Seesmic full-time and will be able to utilize the Seesmic’s support and infrastructure.
- We are only at the beginning of microblogging, the space is very exciting and new.
- Marco Kaiser is super cool and it is all about people.