What are Microformats?
"Microformats (Microformats)":http://microformats.org/ are a set of simple, open data formats built upon existing and widely adopted standards. Instead of throwing away what works today, microformats intend to solve simpler problems first by adapting to current behaviors and usage patterns. Microformats are
* a way of thinking about data
* design principles for formats
* adapted to current behaviors and usage patterns
* highly correlated with semantic XHTML, AKA the real world semantics, AKA lowercase semantic web, AKA lossless XHTML
* a set of simple open data format standards that many are actively developing and implementing for more/better structured blogging and web microcontent publishing in general
* "An evolutionary revolution"
* all the above
the microformats principles
* solve a specific problem
* start as simple as possible
* design for humans first, machines second
* reuse building blocks from widely adopted standards
* modularity / embeddability
* enable and encourage decentralized development, content, services